Sunday, June 7, 2009

Summer = Life Eternal

Playing on iTunes – Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band (that must be why I'm imagining salsa dancers wearing hats with hot pink feathers fluttering with every hip movement)

It doesn’t take the fresh smell of grass clippings to shoot me into summer nostalgia. It does take a week of the boys being home from school wondering how it could only be noon even though they’ve already emptied the garbage, practiced the piano/guitar, read for 30 minutes, attended swim lessons, eaten three otter pops each, built a fort in the field behind our house, and played me in a heated game of speed. Doesn’t this break some natural law? Can the summer solstice exist everyday for three months out of the year? There should be scientific studies on the connection in which the average summer day is lengthened by three hours without us actually knowing it. I think most moms of school age children would agree.

What to do to tackle these days of Tuck Everlasting? Here’s my rough draft list…

• Go ice blocking (come on, you’re not that old)
• Make boats from empty water bottles and duct tape. Then float down the ditch.
• Make a target and have bb-gun shooting contests (don’t worry we’ve never shot our eyes out. Knock on wood.)
• Ride city transit to the donut shop
• Ice skating
• Planetarium
• Picnic in the park (bring a Frisbee and a dog if you have one)
• Take scooters to the roller skating rink
• Make a fort – outside or inside
• Go to your closest independent bookseller and attend an author reading/signing.
• Write a children’s book together (www.mightyauthors.com)
• Blow up water balloons. If you have a trampoline put them on the tramp and see how many you and your kids can pop.
• Repeat

I'd love to hear your idea. LOVE to.

3 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

Love your ideas! I will have to use a couple of these. My girls have been out for a couple of weeks. Starting this week we are going to take a 1/2 hour each day and read. Mikki is just starting to read, so will get the beginner reader books out! I just wish it would stop raining for one day!!!!

Annelise said...

Eating watermelon! Especially outside. But make sure you have enough to feed the whole neighborhood. Hmmm... you have inspired me for my next blog post.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have this on your blog!

I just found these ladies other book a few days ago (Guilty little pleasures)AND your book at the same time. Writing a blog post about your book led me to your blog where you have a picture of this book. Small world!