Sunday, December 7, 2008

Shake it like an Egyptian

Every night after I tuck Judd into bed, I downplay the growing excitement spurred by pending freedom. It starts subtly in my toes and ends up almost bursting through my chest as I gleefully try to prioritize all 76 items on my to do list - a sort of optimism even Julie Andrews would envy.

I slither out the door and into the den, and just as I open my laptop, I hear, “MOOOOM! You forgot to do the mummy dance!”

I walk like an Egyptian all the way back down the hall and into his room. My neck bobbing much like the roosters on my childhood neighbor's farm. I hear him giggle as I bob my neck and squared arm through the door, then back out. “Mahm, come on!" he begs. I hit play on his stereo and Mary Pope Osborne “Mummies in the Morning” book on CD begins to play. Ancient Egyptian music plunks through the speakers as I frolic my way in front of the lamp so I can make freaky dance shadows for my solo, giggling audience member. I place my hands together pointed toward the ceiling. My neck moves back and forth, my hips move the opposite direction. I shimmy around the room. Judd mimics me - neck and all. His lips pursed together in concentration. His three-year-old body doing Egyptian moves like he’s dancing around the ancient pyramids with the mummies themselves. Soon he’s by my side - his moves too expansive to contain inside his small twin size bed. His shadow crosses mine just as the music runs out. I continue moving around the room, the music continuing in my head. "Mama, that's all. It's over."

As I walk out of his room and down the hall, I think about how good I’m getting at the mummy dance. I start to wonder what I might look like moving my hips this way, and my neck that way. Soon I find myself in my bedroom, door locked, doing the mummy dance in my own bathroom mirror.

After three minutes of this ridiculous fearlessness, I finally realize why my mom took me out of dance class after only the first year.

11 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

You should record it! I want to see the Mummie Dance!!!!

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

I could totally see you doing the mummy dance. I agree with Nell....I want to see you mummy dance too!

Trisha said...

Let the chant begin we all want to see...
MUMMY DANCE! MUMMY DANCE!

Leeann said...

Come on girls, let's go now. Can you hear the drums in the back ground? We totally could make a line dance out of this...

Leeann said...

If 10 (or more) people will leave comments, I will post a video of me doing the mummy dance. I can't believe I'm offering this...

Bowman's Beach said...

I request that video.... thats 4

Holly said...

I too, am making a formal request for the mummy dance video. (That makes five, in case you weren't counting - you're half way there!)

Unknown said...

That i would love to see
Keri

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, that's 6

Melissa said...

Can't wait to see this!!
Shake it like a polaroid picture :)

Angie said...

I will join in on the list to see this amazing dance!!