Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Stranger's Kind Deed

Four weeks ago over breakfast at Mimi’s, Senator Howard Stephenson fervently agreed to sponsor a bill that would require insurance companies to pay for medically necessary autism treatments. Upon hearing the tear-inducing good news, I went against all natural instincts, and instead of jumping up in my chair and doing air push ups above my head, I clenched my glass of orange juice tightly and graciously thanked him from my deepest well of passion.

Saturday morning, we, along with nine other volunteer legislative district captains from all over Utah, piled into the Original Pancake House in downtown Salt Lake City for a grassroots launch campaign. As we sat down at our table, I handed each of them their nametags complete with the autism awareness ribbon on the side. Though I had corresponded with many of these eager and equally passionate parents, this was my first time meeting them in person. Each of them shared their stories. And though each situation was unique, their pleas were the same.

“How can we afford treatment that our mainstream doctors are prescribing for her?”

“What is going to happen to him if he doesn’t get the intense treatment he needs?”

“Do you think he’ll ever talk to me?”

“I’ve had to go back to work, but I’m barely making enough to pay our regular bills let alone the treatment he needs.”

“I wonder if she’ll ever know who I am?”

As I traveled through time I heard myself echoing those same fears. I looked down at my plate. I couldn’t force another bite.

Our table grew quiet. I could barely hear the otherwise loud bursts of laughter and utensils clanking on dishes permeating from other parts of the large room.

Finally the waiter swung by and handed each of us our checks. Just as we reached for our wallets, a gentleman approached our table.

“Do you work with kids with autism?” he asked.

“Yes, we do. We’re parents trying to get some legislation passed,” someone answered.

“Your check is on me,” the man said. Then he walked around the table and began collecting our checks, which totaled around $100.

We were stunned into more silence. I looked around the table at each of them through my tear-distorted vision - their eyes were also spilling over.

This man will never know how much he buoyed us up that day. He’ll never really know that with that simple, unassuming act, he helped build my resolve to bionic strength. He’ll also never know that because he touched our lives, we in turn want to touch so many others.

And we intend to do it.

Thank you, Sir.

PS: If any of you are reading this and live in Utah (affected by autism or not), please send me an email so you too can get involved and help these kids get the treatment they need and deserve.

LeeannWhiffen at gmail dot com

12 comments:

Melissa said...

That was so great!! I'm rooting for ya!!

Willie E. said...

In a day where despair and troubled times are looming, it's nice to see kindness, generosity and compassion. Kudos to the unknown man - he will be blessed!

Brittany R said...

Somehow I knew that you would end up writing about this. I'm still in shock at how kind he was. When he said that he volunteered to work with developmentally delayed, I thought we should be the ones buying his breakfast. Anyone who volunteers to help these kids is a saint

Camille said...

That is so neat! I am with Melissa, I am rooting for ya as well!

Brittany and Bud Morrow said...

Oh my gosh Leeann! It's Brittany Edwards!! From Concord, Ca, CVI! Do you rememeber me? I actually just got married, so it's Morrow now, but of my gosh, I'm so excited to find your blog! You look amazing and you are doing such great things! My goodness, you've written a book? Or more maybe? How are you? I just can't get over it! I'm so excited to see you! My blog is brittanyandbud.blogspot.com and my email is angelkiss2711@sbcglobal.net. I would love to catch up! I miss you! Hope to talk to you soon.

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

What a wonderful story! I would love to know what I can do to help. I'm in the primary and we have 2 boys with autism and 2 more with ADHD. They are amazing kids and I love them dearly. Our primary has only 30 kids and to have this many boys with special needs just amazes me. Let me know what I can do.
danielelonghurst@comcast.net

Trish said...

Leeann, I think you are an amazing woman with a huge heart! Thanks for sharing that sweet story! Love ya!

Nelson Family said...

LeeAnn, I found your blog link and was so excited to read about your experiences. You have such a way with words. I too, was touched by this man's kind deed. I intend to "pay it forward" also! Email me and I will send you an invite to my blog!

Soccer Mom said...

How wonderful! We are rooting for you as well!!!

Keri said...

Hi Leeann! I hope you don't mind that I peek at your blog. I found it on the list of MHS classmates. I got chills when I read this post. You are an amazing woman. Let me know what I can do to help. keriguess at hotmail dot com.

Annelise said...

Reading that made me remember how easy I have it. Thanks Leeann

Leeann said...

Okay, wow, you guys. Now I'm even more choked up. Thanks for all your support. I have the greatest group of friends/bloggers.

Daniele and Keri I'll be in touch. I just need your mailing address so I can find your legislators. Thank you so much!!