Monday, September 21, 2009

Howling at the Moon

Lately, as I’m going about my business in my own home, I might round a corner to be met by a loud “boo” followed by a giggle in response to my yelp and bugged out eyeballs. I’ve often wondered what kind of an emotional toll this might be taking on my fragile, adrenal fatigued, 32 year-old for-one-more-week body.

The small one talks often about what he wants to be for Halloween. Monday - Vampire. Wednesday - Wait, Airplane. Saturday - No, Darth Vader. Yesterday - Incredible Hulk. “For really, Mom!” He says, after I threatened to dress him up as the pinkest princess in all the land.

Knowing from painful experience that if you wait until the week before Halloween hoping a three or four-year old is done changing his mind, you’ll find that only size 10-12 Grim Reaper (with blood dripping down the face) and adult size Big Bird costumes remain on the racks. So we settled on Hulk last week, and I've only had to threaten Tinker Bell once so far.

As I contemplated how much longer my heart muscles and nerve endings would endure shouts of “boo” at the least expected moment, I decided we had better feed this creative Halloween monster we named, Judd. (the Stud, he corrects in my head as I write this)

We went down in the basement and dug out the spookiest shoebox we could find. We gathered together the 10 candy corns we hadn’t eaten yet from earlier that day, printed some freaky pictures from the internet, and started mixing our ghoulish creative juices until they started to bubble over.

This is what we came up with. And it worked. For a few days.

Now he wants to know what we’re making tomorrow.




















7 comments:

Camille said...

I think Judd the Stud would be smashing in TInkerbell! : ) HEHEHE Just kidding, what a cute Hulk he will make. Noah had his mind made up over a month ago! His costume will arrive shortly, Star Wars Clone Wars. I love Halloween with kids. So much fun, and you are so creative. BUT, we already knew this! What a cute idea! Leeann, you are such a cute mom!

Alli E. said...

Adorable!! YOu are sucha cute mom!!

Leeann said...

Jango Fett came in a close second, Camille. One of my other boys was a clone one year and Judd wore the mask so much it cracked and died.

Very nice, you two. Thanks :)

Amy said...

My Sean gets so excited for Halloween because that's when we go to Target to buy things to decorate our house with all year long. Sounds kinda gothic, I know. But, we're both into it and they've got some cool decorations there.

Anne Marie said...

Hi! Your children are so beautiful and Halloween is such a fun time of year. I just want to tell you thanks, I read your book and it was life changing for me. My 3 yr old son has just been diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I know now that I can recover him, we have just started our own home ABA program, and biomedical intervention. Thank you for giving hope when I need it the most.

Keri said...

You are such a wonderful mother. And so talented too! I love your shoe box idea. Very creative! I hope we get to hear about your next little project with Judd the Stud, Lol!

sandy said...

That is so cool! I'm going to keep that in mind when K tells me she's bored.... and doesn't have any homework to do. Hmm... the 'bored' part will happen, the homework done part... that's a challenge. =)