Thursday, April 16, 2009

Are you ready to Betty?

Tuesday morning, I received some terrible news. So disappointing and gut wrenching (at that very moment) that I contemplated running in front of the guy on a bike that I just saw pass by my house. I settled on a trip to Super Target instead. But before I left I checked my email for the third time in 60 seconds. Nothing? Still? Where are these people I emailed seconds ago! The exclamation in my head is barely punctuated as I stepped on a lego with my naked foot. %$&#!

I passed by the mirror on my way out the door. I cautiously backed up. Bubble appears above my head. "Does it really look like I have silicone implants in my butt, or is it the pocket placement on my jeans. Pocket placement. When I clench it’s not so bad, but if you look at it from that angle…where is that guy on the bike? Did he pass already?"

I get in the car, plug in my iPhone and click to the Titanic Soundtrack. I suddenly remember the Huggies commercial from yesterday, and my throat swells. So I forward to Chariots of Fire. I get to Super Target seconds later (normally a 15 minute drive) with sweat beads on my forehead and a resolve to start training for the Boston Marathon.

I smooth out my crumpled grocery list:

Milk
Eggs
Bread
Medium cheddar cheese
String cheese
Go-Lean cereal
O.J.
Walnuts
Almonds
Apples
Oranges
Bananas
Yogurt

Two hours later, I swing into the shortest line. I notice the contents in my cart. My list – buried in the cart somewhere.

Crunchy Cheetos
Cheetos Puffs
Flamin' Hot Cheetos
Cheetos Puffs Twists
Natural Puffs White Cheddar
Fritos twists
Have a New Kid by Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman
A t-shirt (long enough to cover my pockets) that says, “You mess with me, you mess with the whole family”
Fish net stockings
Lindt truffles
Tofifay
Martinelli’s
Twinkies
Hostess cupcakes
Chocolate milk
Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey
Tampons – Super, super
Midol
Sunless spray-on tan

As I unloaded the groceries in the car, I carefully placed the Cheetos in the front seat. Then I wildly threw the rest into the back and shoved the cart down the row. I hopped in the front seat and tore into the Cheetos like I was a kid opening her first Christmas present. I didn’t slow down until I reached the bottom of the bag. Where are the truffles. I NEED them to balance the salty. Then I called Sean and asked him if he thought my rear was too big, because I knew he’d say something wickedly delicious. And he did. Click. He must have known about the fish net stockings.

Product placement warning. Please leave a comment! Betty Confidential autism essay.

Next up? Photos from Malad book signing...I so heart all of you. Which reminds me of how Seriously So Blessed I am.

10 comments:

Alli E. said...

Too funny!! I HAVE to balance the sweet with the salty! Your story of SuperTarget is way too familiar for me!! My mom just sent me a copy of your book from the Malad book signing. I am so excited to read it!

Camille said...

Leeann I just love you!

heather said...

Love your writing and perspective! That post was a perfect addition to my day!

Soccer Mom said...

LOL! I am sooo sorry I missed you at the book signing! I had your book sitting on the counter, started to clean up, lost track of time, and before I knew it, it was too late! I was totally bummed! I love the book! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!

Melissa said...

Totally been there :)

Leeann said...

Thank you ladies for not leaving me alone in the world of PMS.

Allison - it was so fun to see your mom last week! Next time I'm in St. George I'd love to see you and Melissa!

Camille - It was so much fun visiting with you all! I wanted to get together beforehand, but I just couldn't leave soon enough! We'll have to all get together around the holidays.

Heather - I'm looking forward to seeing your exhibit! Congratulations!

Shanelle - no worries! Thanks for at least having my book on the counter :) You're great!

Melissa - thanks for wallowing with me in my misery. I'd love to hear your stories :)

Melissa said...

I can't believe you waited to open your cheetos until you were in the car--I usually down half the bag while I'm shopping. :)

Marla Valdez said...

You crack me up! I love reading your blog! I have a Target obsession and go there all the time for a couple of hours a time! Who would have thought Target would be an escape!?! I just got your email and will email you soon!

Fishin' Ponds said...

Soooo glad I'm not the only one. It's a VERY good thing they don't have a Target or a Walmart in my town. I would be there EVERY day.

Adam and Julie H. said...

I died just about died of laughter when I got to her grocery cart. And the five different kinds of Cheetos. Too funny and too true!