Tuesday, December 11, 2007

August 2007

Today is the first day of school. It is a happy day. The quietness surrounds me like a warm blanket.

We’ve had a great, yet busy, summer. Clay, who turned seven in June, continued his guitar lessons—complete with a three quarter size metallic blue electric guitar. He also moved up a level in gymnastics where, here comes the bragging, he’s the only boy in gymnastics that can do the full-on splits (ouch). When we have guests over he’ll unexpectedly drop into the splits followed by a gasp from the crowd. I’m sure he’s shown most of you his Circ De Soleil-like acrobatics. He certainly doesn’t lack confidence. Just yesterday I complimented him on building an amazing lego structure. I asked him how he did it. He explained, “I just have a terrific mind, of course. I bet if you had a terrific mind, you could do it too!”

Drew is nine years old, perfect for babysitting Judd while I mow our new lawn. Yes, we’re thrilled we finally have grass to replace the sea of 4-foot weeds that nearly overtook our dwelling. No more stickers in our socks or, if we wore flip flops, twigs between our toes. Judd loves a screaming underdog in his swing on the new swingset, while Clay carefully scales the top of the 10-foot monkey bars, then drops into the splits. Ok, I lied on the last part.

Drew has been my big helper this summer, yelling at the other boys if they’re not doing their jobs so I don’t have to. No, really, it is nice to have a child finally old enough to carry their weight around here. Drew will start piano lessons again with the start of the school year. I’m anxious once again to hear songs played three times as fast as the normal rendition, then trying to name that tune while I busily attend to my housework.

Judd, two years old who will be three in February, likes experimenting with different ways to say “No!” or “That’s mine!” The other day I caught him watching cartoons with his potty seat balancing perfectly on his head. His red hair has been replaced with more of a blonde rendition for the summer, which goes better with most of his outfits anyway, and the hot pink toenails we painted together several weeks ago.

Sean joined a city softball league with his brother. He likes to boast about his multiple home runs, just to me of course, and his amazing “diving behind the back catches” in the outfield. I’m glad he’s having fun. I guess the $200 D. Marini bat he bought on Ebay is a justified expenditure. Work keeps him busy, not busy enough to not continue having his daily bowl of BYU Creamery Earnestly Chocolate ice cream, but busy.

Did I tell you I wrote a book? Oh, you’re thinking, I thought I was reading it. No. My real book is 400 pages. Hopefully I’ll get a publisher. If not, I’ll have to find the nearest cliff. It has taken me three years and a lot of research and practice. I’m still working on the autism council seeing some great efforts develop into solutions and resources for family members and those affected with autism. It’s a rewarding outlet.

I’m really looking forward to Thanksgiving. I hope all of you are planning to mooch off Blake and Kate along with our family.

No comments: